Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veteran's Day

I know that it was yesterday, but I came across something yesterday that I simply needed to talk about, but didn't have time to blog about yesterday.  Veteran's day, besides being my niece and friend Dan's birthdays, is a holiday to celebrate the men and women who have fought and, in some cases, given their very lives to keep America safe and free.  In celebration of that, a lot of people get the day off, banks and schools are closed, no mail is delivered, and, as of recent years, some popular restaurants reward the sacrifice of veterans by offering them free entrees for the day.

A friend of mine who served in the first Gulf war ate completely for free yesterday.  Do I begrudge him this small thing?  Absolutely not. He sacrificed his time and put himself in harm's way, so what is a free meal?  Applebees and Moe's both provided a free meal, and I'm fully on board, but then I read that Outback was also participating, but veterans could only get a free Bloomin' Onion for their service.  Seriously?  These people survived time in some pretty hazardous warzones, came back safe and sound to their families and you're going to give them a heart attack-covered onion?  Awesome.

No comments: