Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I hate being conscious of what is happening in the political arena!


Those of you who know me have a good idea where I lean on most things, politically speaking.  Yes, I am one of those liberal democrats that the current administration is so intent on convincing you are evil.  So it will probably come as no surprise that the revived fight about gay marriage on the senate floor is completely incensing and offending me.

 I am not a homosexual, but I do have many friends that are, and even if I did not, I support their rights much like my ancestors supported rights for blacks and women.  I believe that scientifically, homosexuality is not a choice, but a state of being that you are born with.  That's my opinion.

Now, there are those out there that would defend marriage as the oldest religious institution that we have, dating back to the Garden of Eden.  In my honest opinion, there are SO many things wrong with that idea. 

First and MOST important, if marriage is a religious institution, then the government should not be debating it in any public arena, let alone the US Senate floor.  It goes back to that whole church/state separation set down many years ago.  Also, I happen to be a Christian, and was married in a church, but what about people who don't get married in a church?  My wife's sister married her husband on a mountain top, and it was presided over by a Justice of the Peace...does that mean their marriage is not legit? 

Some would also say that gay marriage is going to have a negative effect on the meaning and significance of marriage in our country.  To that I say, how can it realistically get any worse?  The percentage of heterosexual marriages that end in divorce is astronomical.  What is wrong with a few more marriages that might actually succeed.  Gay marriage does nothing to destabilize the institution.  Marriage can easily be defined as a life commitment between two people who love each other and want to spend their entire lives together.

Monogamy is monogamy.  There is no slippery slope that the Conservatives are spewing about.  The number of people who wish to practice polygamy or other CHOICES are few and far between. 

I think the most heinous part of the whole debate is using the biblical excuse.  The old testament god, who routinely destroyed cities and the entire world and used a whole fire and brimstone approach toward mankind.  Some think that god is still in charge, but those same people also read the new testament and believe in the forgiveness of sins that Jesus provided. Did Jesus preach hatemongering and discrimination?  No, he was all about inclusion, and love thy neighbor, no matter their differences.  This debate is not, and will probably never be, over.  Hell, there are still many people out there who are racist and sexist, even though women, blacks and minorities are all equal in the law's eyes. 

Thankfully, there are still a few senators who have not lost total control of their faculties.  The democrats, and a few brave republicans are opposing the amendment to impose a ban on gay marriage.  It's not a federal issue.  Get back to important things, like getting our troops out of Iraq.

Currently listening:
Ganging Up on the Sun
By Guster
Release date: 20 June, 2006

No comments: