Thursday, January 21, 2010

Forget mellow, I'm officially apathetic!

Two days ago, the future of the Obama Healthcare initiative took a huge hit when, in an upset, Scott Brown defeated Martha Coakley and gave Ted Kennedy's senate seat back to the Republicans.  Listening to the pundits talk you'd think that this one election made Obama a lame duck a year into his 4-year term, and you know what?  I DON'T CARE!  I want to.  I want to be that guy who was passionate about the Dem's cause going into the last election...the guy who railed against McCain and Palin and the rampant conservative short bus that is Fox News.  I just can't do it anymore, because they may be right.

It's been a year with control of the White House, and both houses of Congress, and they've gotten NOTHING accomplished.  I've lost faith, I've lost patience, and I'm losing interest.  These people are being paid to REPRESENT us.  As far as I can tell they're all representing covering their asses, and little else.  The Dems are arguing among themselves as to the language of the healthcare plan, while Obama just continually begs them to send him a bill he can sign, and the Republicans(a group which now officially includes Joe Lieberman), are doing nothing but trying to gum up the works in order that the bill that gets produced has absolutely no teeth to it!

We're not doing much to recover from the laughing stock that we became during the last presidency.  We have no credibility among the other countries of the world, our debt to China is growing, nearly 20 percent of our workforce is unemployed or underemployed, the economy has not been stimulated, and no one seems to care to monitor those jackass banks and financial institutions that our tax money bailed out.

And all I care about is that I'm tired...or rather exhausted.  I can blame my infant daughter only so much, because it's not just lack of sleep.  I'm tired of my lackluster job, tired of my complete and total lack of ambition, tired of being so cranky when I get home that I snap at people(sorry Amy), and tired of not feeling that passion anymore for the things in the world that really bug me. 

I need a shockabuku...anyone want to help?

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Scott,
You're not the only one feeling this way. While I don't have some of the factors weighing on me that you do, I definitely share the same feelings. I feel like I should care about the mess that's happening, but I just don't want to put the energy into it anymore.

Unknown said...

You captured the apathy that a lot of us are feeling in the wake of such great excitement and high hopes. Lots to think about here ...