Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When an Independent is truly an Independent

HOLY SHITBALLS!

Now that the smoke has cleared on the furor over Scott Brown's defeat of Martha Coakley, and Brown has reported to work, it appears that the collective groan from Democrats worldwide may have been a bit premature. 

Brown crossed the aisle to vote with the Democrats on the jobs bill and fend off the Republicans that were falling over themselves to filibuster the bill into submission.  Said Brown,

"I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside, and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families. I wish the tax cuts were deeper and broader, but I will vote for it because it contains measures that will help put people back to work,”
While I disagree with many of his other political positions, I have to say that his first major splash in Congress showed that he has the courage of his convictions, which I can definitely respect.

He finished by bringing some reason to the table: “Brown offered a final denunciation of the GOP before the vote: ‘My friends on the other side of the aisle are looking for ways not to vote for this," he said, accusing them of putting "partisanship ahead of people.’"

Wow...didn't think I'd be saying this, especially so soon, but way to go Scott Brown!


No comments: