Thursday, July 13, 2006

Ann Coulter...demonizing liberalism


If you turn on any cable news channel these days, chances are, you will eventually see Ann Coulter's face somewhere in the show.  A conservative pundit, Coulter has managed to get herself into the spotlight of pretty much every political arena.  It's not by chance or luck that she's there either; she's an extremely intelligent woman.  Reading her column just for vocabulary-sake will tell you that.  Unfortunately, that intelligence is colored by some of the most conservative views that this world has these days. 

I used to wonder just how Coulter got anyone to listen to her...she spews frothy, poisonous rhetoric, taking out anyone in her path that has an opinion, but she makes her point...no matter how insane you and I may think her opinion is on a given manner, she makes her point, and makes it with gusto.  In an attempt to better understand the beast, I looked up her bio on Wikipedia.  Coulter was raised here in CT, and has a law degree, two things that had somehow escaped my consciousness.  So it's not that she doesn't understand the way our government works...it's just that her vitriolic hatred for everything liberal informs EVERYTHING that comes out of her mouth.  Her (some might say fanatical) Christian ideals and beliefs help to further structure her views on all topics conservative.  She was once heard to say that Jesus died for her sins and nothing else matters.  That is a valid belief and you're not going to find me railing against Christianity because I know that I would get in trouble from a few friends who actually read my drivel.  I have my own issues with fanatical religion of any type, but I'm not going to air them here...at least not in this entry.

On the surface, Ann Coulter has an impressive academic background.  Once within the sphere of her flapping gums, however, that facade just falls apart...I saw her the other night on Donny Deutch's show, and the thing that struck me the most was the sneer she got on her face everytime she said the word liberal.  She truly has nothing nice to say about her political polar opposition.  I disagree with 98.234% of everything that comes out of her mouth, and that's what drove me to want to know more about her in the first place.  I guess I wanted to know what creates a conservative in this country...is it a nature/nurture thing?  I mean, we know that religion and religious upbringing helps to set the "battle" lines, but I know plenty of liberals that are religious to the core.  What made her this conservative?  I probably will never know, but I will stand in disagreement with everything she stands for until I know...and then will probably continue as such even if it IS ever explained.

Ann throws around the word treason like it's a frisbee, and that pisses me off.  She demonizes 9/11 widows that happen to support democrats, as if that makes them evil...as if democrats want to feed 9/11 widows to starving, cloned, gay, prochoice wolverines.  She thinks Clinton's sexual indiscretions are treasonous, but thinks Bush is a hero to the Iraqi people.  This is my own opinion, but I think Ann is batshit crazy.  If you are interested in reading some of her latest plagiarized work, pick up her new book Godless.  Unlike Coulter, I can cite my proof of her plagiarism:  Check out The Rude Pundit, bearing in mind that his blog is at least R-rated, and not suited for the faint of heart.  He makes his point, but is crass and, as the title states, Rude.


Ok...enough for now.  I have to go look up how to get Ann Coulter's snobby voice out of my nightmares.

Currently listening:
Commit This to Memory
By Motion City Soundtrack
Release date: 07 June, 2005

No comments: