Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A man is dead and I am sad. Normally, this would be the end of my statement; no one deserves to die before their time, so an untimely end is an unhappy occasion. But today, that man is Kenneth Lay - a man who in October would have been sentenced to a good long time in prison for his part in the Enron scandal, which lost many good hard-working Americans their life savings. Lay, a close personal friend of Dubya, died early today of an apparent heart attack.
I feel for his family and their loss, but more than that I feel for the people who were bilked - a word that I don't use lightly, because that's what Enron did - out of their money. I feel bad that those people will never see Lay behind bars, suffering in a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.
A co-worker pointed out that he's probably burning in hell right now, but I wanted him to pay a bit for his crime before retiring to the firey pit where he belongs.
I know I'm going a bit over the edge, but were it not for the unfortunate heart attack, the sixty-something Lay had some time left to rot in prison before succumbing to old age. Kenny, do me a favor, and keep a red hot poker ready for Karl Rove...I'm sure you guys will have fun down there when he joins you.

Currently listening: Eyes Open By Snow Patrol Release date: By 09 May, 2006

No comments: